The owners, managers, and operators of commercial properties in Folsom have a legal obligation to keep their premises reasonably safe. When they fail to provide adequate security, innocent people can get hurt. When they do, they can hold the negligent parties legally liable for their injuries.
If you have been hurt on someone else’s property due to insufficient security measures, the Folsom negligent security lawyers of The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC, want to help you secure the compensation you deserve.
Our Folsom premises liability attorneys are dedicated to demanding accountability and financial compensation on behalf of people who’ve been hurt through no fault of their own. To find out how we can help you fight for justice, contact us today for a free case review.
What Is a Negligent Security Lawsuit?
Negligent security lawsuits concern crimes that occur due to faulty or inadequate security provided by a property’s owner or operator. These parties may be responsible for injuries or fatalities that result from a lack of sufficient security personnel and devices to adequately protect guests from crime.
A negligent security lawsuit alleges that negligence on the part of the property owner directly led to the claimant’s injury and subsequent losses, such as medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. If successful, a negligent security lawsuit results in financial compensation for those losses.
Common places where negligent security can lead to injuries include:
- Shopping malls
- Parking garages and parking lots
- Restaurants and bars
- Apartment buildings
- Schools and colleges
- Parks and playgrounds
- Movie theaters, sports arenas, and other entertainment venues
Common Examples of Negligent Security in Folsom
Property owners, operators, and managers of all types have an obligation to keep people who legally visit their premises reasonably safe from harm, whether they rent apartments, manage office spaces, or sell food or alcohol, for example. Consequently, negligent security can take many forms. Some of the most common types of inadequate security include:
- Lack of security guards
- Improperly trained security guards
- Missing security cameras and alarm systems
- Malfunctioning or poorly maintained security cameras
- Poor lighting
- Doors that can’t be locked or latched
- Broken or poorly maintained fences and security barriers
Types of Injuries Caused by Negligent Security
Any type of property where members of the public gather can become dangerous if good security policies are not in place. Visitors to nightclubs and bars can suffer serious bodily injuries if violent fellow patrons attack them. Shoppers may be mugged by thieves who take advantage of poorly lit parking lots, and hotel guests may be at risk of sexual assault in stairwells without adequate security cameras.
Common injuries that result from these and other instances of negligent security include:
- Broken bones
- Contusions and bruises
- Internal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Other head and skull injuries
- Gunshot wounds
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
In addition to this physical damage, victims of negligent security often suffer emotional trauma as well, including:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Panic attacks
An experienced negligent security attorney in Folsom can help you seek compensation for the physical injuries and subsequent medical costs you suffered, as well as the mental anguish you went through and the psychiatric care required to treat it.
Can I Get Compensation for an Injury Caused by Negligent Security?
If you have been hurt on someone else’s unsafe property in Folsom, you could be entitled to compensation through a negligent security claim. To recover compensation, you must establish that the property’s owner, manager, occupant, or operator was legally liable for your injuries as a direct result of the inadequate security measures on their premises.
Depending on the circumstances of the incident and your subsequent injuries, you could be entitled to compensation for financial losses, such as:
- Medical bills, including hospital stays, surgeries, medication, and transportation to appointments
- Lost wages if you’re unable to work as the result of your injuries
- Lost future earning potential if your injuries prevent you from resuming your previous job
- Property damaged or stolen during the incident
In addition to compensation for the economic losses you suffered because of negligent security, you could also be entitled to recover money for non-financial losses like:
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Diminished enjoyment of life
It’s difficult to say with certainty what compensation you may be entitled to without knowing the specifics of the incident and your injuries. That’s why it’s important to discuss your case with an experienced negligent security attorney as soon as possible.
How Can a Folsom Inadequate Security Lawyer Help Me?
If you’ve been injured on someone else’s property due to a lack of security, a Folsom negligent security lawyer from The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC, can help you demand compensation by:
- Thoroughly investigating the circumstances of your injury by conducting depositions, interviewing witnesses, and consulting with industry experts
- Determining every party that could be responsible for your injuries and losses
- Calculating the full extent of your losses
- Filing demand letters and other paperwork on your behalf
- Negotiating with negligent parties and their insurers for a fair and full settlement
- Taking your case to court if that becomes the best way to pursue the total compensation you deserve
Pursuing compensation is your right, but it’s also time-intensive and emotionally demanding. An attorney can handle the complexities of your case on your behalf, allowing you the time and space to recover from your injuries and get back to normal life.