An accident can happen anywhere, and many injury accidents occur on someone else’s property. If you’ve suffered a preventable injury due to a property owner or manager’s negligence in Placerville, you could be entitled to compensation for your losses through a premises liability claim.
At The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC, we understand that taking legal action may seem overwhelming when you’re already struggling to recover from painful injuries. Let our experienced Placerville premises liability lawyers handle the legal legwork while you focus on healing.
To learn more about how we can help, contact us for a free initial case review.
What Is Premises Liability?
Premises liability allows injured parties to hold negligent owners or other entities responsible when preventable accidental injuries occur on their property.
In a premises liability claim, property owners are not the only parties who may be held responsible. Any party that owns, controls, occupies or manages a property may be subject to a premises liability claim. That includes landlords, commercial tenants, store managers, and homeowners or renters.
Additionally, California property owners are not automatically at fault any time an injury occurs.
If you suffered harm on someone else’s property, you could only hold them liable if you can prove:
- The other party is the legal owner or controller of the property in question.
- You had a legal right to be present on the property when you were injured.
- There was a dangerous defect or hazard present on the property.
- The hazardous condition was not “open and obvious.”
- The property owner knew or should have known about the dangerous conditions on their property through routine care and maintenance.
- Despite actual or constructive knowledge of the hazard, the property owner failed to address the hazard or warn visitors of the danger.
- You were injured on the property directly due to the hazard, despite acting with an ordinary level of caution.
Property owners may attempt to avoid responsibility by claiming that the hazard was open and obvious or that you were behaving irresponsibly. Because the at-fault party might not immediately accept responsibility for compensating you, it’s crucial to hire an experienced premises liability attorney to fight for what is fair.
Types of Premises Liability Cases We Handle in Placerville
Here at The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC, we frequently handle the following types of premises liability cases in Placerville, CA:
- Slips, trips, and falls – Slip-and-falls and trip-and-falls are among the most common types of premises liability accidents. These incidents can occur due to unattended spills, inadequate drainage, defective stairs or steps, missing or broken handrails, or negligent caregiving staff.
- Dog bite incidents – Dog bites can cause severe trauma, and California law holds dog owners strictly liable any time their dogs bite other people in public or private places. This strict liability applies whether or not the owner knew or should have known about their dog’s tendency to bite.
- Swimming accidents – Swimming accidents frequently occur in pools, lakes, and beaches throughout sunny California. Young children are especially likely to suffer from falls, unintentional drownings, or other serious incidents.
- Amusement park accidents – Many amusement parks are advertised as safe fun for the whole family, but these large venues are not always as harmless as they should be. Many visitors are injured by falls, hazardous rides, and more.
- Negligent security incidents – Apartment complexes, corporate office buildings, hotels, parking garages, and other facilities require appropriate security to ensure the safety of visitors and tenants. When property owners fail to provide adequate security, it can invite behavior like theft, violent assault, and other criminal acts.
- Structural collapse injuries – When property owners or construction crews cut too many corners during building or renovation projects, structures like scaffolds, trenches, ceilings, and floors can collapse with little warning.
- Fires and explosions – Faulty electrical circuits, poor ventilation, and other types of negligent property maintenance can all contribute to preventable fires and explosions. Without proper fire exits or safety precautions, visitors can suffer severe burns and inhalation injuries.
How Our Attorneys Can Help with Your Case
If you have been injured on someone else’s property in Placerville, CA, The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC, is ready to help with your injury case by:
- Investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident
- Determining who can be held liable for your premises liability injuries
- Obtaining evidence to prove that the property owner or occupant was negligent
- Communicating with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
- Negotiating aggressively on your behalf to maximize the value of your settlement
- Taking your case to court, if the other party refuses to agree to a fair settlement
Potential Compensation in a Placerville Premises Liability Case
Our experienced premises liability lawyers can help you obtain valuable evidence and establish a strong foundation for your claim. With a successful claim, you could be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical costs associated with treating your accident-related injuries
- Lost wages and benefits from any work you missed during recovery
- Projected losses in your future earning capacity, if you suffer permanent injuries
- The intangible costs of the pain, suffering, and lost quality of life you endure
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as mileage costs for medical appointments
Statute of Limitations for Premises Liability Lawsuits in Placerville
If you cannot secure the compensation you deserve from an insurance claim or settlement, you may have no other option but to file a lawsuit. If you are considering a lawsuit, you should know that you have just two years from the date of the incident to file. If you wait too long, the court could dismiss your claim. It’s best to work with an experienced attorney who can keep your case on track.
Contact Our Placerville Premises Liability Lawyers Today
When you need a premises liability accident lawyer near Placerville, California, look no further than The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC. When you contact our compassionate team, we can address your concerns and review your case for free. Contact our firm to get started with your initial consultation now.