Back injuries are a common result of car accidents in Folsom, California, particularly if the accident involves a rear-end collision or if the vehicle is struck from the side. Back injuries can vary widely in severity, from muscle strains to more serious harm, including fractures or spinal cord injuries.
If you’ve suffered a back injury in a car accident, the most important thing is to seek medical care immediately. Once you’ve done that, your next call should be to a law firm that handles back injury compensation cases. At The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC, our attorneys have more than 30 years of combined legal experience. In that time, we’ve been able to recover millions of dollars for our clients.
Find out how we can help you. Contact us now for a free consultation.
Types of Back Injuries from Car Accidents in Folsom, CA
Some of the most commonly reported back injuries suffered by car accident victims in Folsom include:
- Sprains and Strains – Back sprains and strains are injuries that can cause pain and discomfort in the back muscles and surrounding tissues. Symptoms of back strains or sprains may include muscle spasms, stiffness, and pain when moving or standing.
- Herniated Discs – A herniated disc, also known as a slipped or ruptured disc, is a condition that occurs when the gel-like substance inside a spinal disc pushes against the outer wall of the disc. That can cause pain, numbness, or weakness in the affected area. Herniated discs can occur in any part of the spine, but they are most common in the lower back and neck.
- Fractured Vertebrae – Vertebrae are the bones that make up the spine. A fracture can occur if the spine is subjected to too much force, like the forces in a car crash. A fracture can cause severe pain and might require surgery to repair.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries can be serious and potentially life-changing events. The spinal cord is a vital part of the central nervous system, carrying messages between the brain and the rest of the body. When it is damaged, the brain may no longer be able to communicate with other regions of the body, leading to paralysis and other complications. The severity of a spinal cord injury depends on the location and extent of the damage to the spinal cord.
- Whiplash – Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when the neck is suddenly and forcefully jerked forward and backward. This movement can damage the neck’s muscles, ligaments, and other tissues. Symptoms include neck pain, stiffness, and headaches.
- Compression Fractures – A compression fracture occurs when a bone – typically in the spine – is subjected to severe pressure. Symptoms of a compression fracture may include back pain, difficulty standing or walking, and a hunched or rounded posture. Treatment for a compression fracture may include pain medication, rest, and physical therapy. Surgery may sometimes be necessary to repair the fracture and stabilize the spine.
It’s important to seek immediate medical care after being involved in a car accident. Minor back pain could be a symptom of more severe injuries or worsen over time if left untreated.
Liability for Back Injuries from Car Accidents
In California, the person determined to be at fault for a car crash is typically liable for any injuries resulting from the crash. Liability for a car crash can be based on various factors, including the actions of the drivers involved, any traffic laws that may have been broken, and the circumstances of the collision.
Determining liability for a car crash can be complex. It may be necessary to gather evidence, speak with witnesses, and review traffic laws to determine who is at fault. If you injured your back in a car crash in California and believe someone else’s carelessness is to blame, you should consult with our experienced Folsom car accident attorneys now.
Potential Compensation for Back Injuries from Car Accidents in Folsom
To seek compensation for your back pain, you will need to show that the pain was caused by the car accident that was a result of the other driver’s negligence. You will need to provide evidence of your injuries, such as medical records and bills, and may need to have your injuries evaluated by a medical expert. Our attorneys are ready to help you gather this evidence and build a strong case for compensation.
Depending on the nature and severity of your injuries, you could be eligible to seek compensation for:
- Current and future medical bills
- Prescription medications and medical devices
- Therapy and rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages from time missed from work
- Reduced enjoyment of life
- Pain, suffering, and mental anguish
It is important to keep in mind that every car accident case is different, and the amount of compensation you may be entitled to will depend on the specific circumstances of your case. It is a good idea to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to understand your rights and options.
Treatment of Back Injuries from Car Accidents
There are many different treatment options for back injuries. The best course of action will depend on the specific nature of your injury and the symptoms you are experiencing.
Some common treatment options for back injuries include:
- Rest – Taking a break from physical activity and getting plenty of rest can help the body heal.
- Pain medication – Over-the-counter or prescription pain medication can reduce pain and inflammation.
- Physical therapy – A physical therapist can teach you exercises to strengthen and stretch the muscles in your back, which can speed up recovery and prevent future injuries.
- Chiropractic care – A chiropractor can use manual adjustments to align the spine and reduce pain.
- Massage – Massage therapy can relax tense muscles and improve circulation, which can aid in recovery.
- Pain management/injection – Injections of steroids and other medications can help patients manage pain from severe back injuries.
- Surgery – In some cases, surgery may be necessary to repair damaged muscles or bones in the back.
Why You Need Our Folsom Back Injury Attorneys
When you’re seeking compensation for a back injury after a car accident, you want to know that you have someone on your side who can help. You need a firm with years of experience handling back injury car accident cases and a track record of successful verdicts and settlements to its name.
At The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, APC, our car accident attorneys have over three decades of combined experience standing up for accident victims in Folsom and throughout California. We will take the time to listen to your story to better help you. We believe that fighting for a client starts with getting to know them as a person and connecting with them. From there, we do all we can to help get the justice and fair compensation our clients need and deserve.