If you or a loved one recently suffered injuries and financial losses from a car accident that someone else caused, it is natural to wonder about your options for legal recourse against the driver who injured you. A personal injury claim is generally the best way to secure compensation for your losses after an accident, especially if the other driver does not have enough car insurance liability coverage to fully cover your damages.
How Much Is My Car Accident Claim Worth?
A car accident can have a compounding effect when it comes to financial losses. Immediately after your accident, you will face vehicle repair costs, towing costs, and medical expenses if you suffered injuries. It’s essential to track all of these damages as best as you can, but this is difficult when you are recovering from an injury. Your initial damages can quickly lead to additional losses, such as missing income if your injuries leave you unable to work. Collections calls about bills you are unable to pay after your accident can quickly become overwhelming.
It is easy to feel very pressured to seek financial recovery after a car accident in light of these mounting financial issues. Still, it is important to avoid accepting an insurance claim offer or settlement too soon. It’s not uncommon for car accident claimants to accept lower amounts than they could reasonably expect out of desperation. Working with a car accident attorney is the best way to determine the full scope of your claimable damages immediately following a car accident.
Calculating Your Damages
Your attorney will help you gather the evidence and documentation you will need to fully establish the complete range of your damages in your car accident claim:
- Medical expenses. These are often some of the most significant damages a car accident claimant will have. Medical debt is one of the leading causes of bankruptcy in the US, and unpaid medical bills can take a dramatic toll on any family. Your attorney will help you collect hospital bills, specialist invoices, prescription receipts, and all other documentation and evidence to show the full extent of your medical expenses resulting from a car accident.
- Property damages. You can claim the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle damaged or destroyed in a car accident as part of your legal claim. Your attorney will help you research your vehicle’s actual value if completely destroyed and assess your insurance coverage to help you secure the most compensation possible for your property damages.
- Lost income. Your injuries may have left you unable to work, and your attorney can help you recover the income you should have earned during this time. If a car accident leaves you completely disabled and unable to work at all in the future, call us. A good attorney can help you secure significant compensation for the future earnings you would have reasonably expected to earn had the accident not occurred.
- Pain and suffering. Every state has laws in place that allow personal injury plaintiffs to receive compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and psychological trauma resulting from an accident caused by negligence. Most judges award pain and suffering compensation based on the plaintiff’s other compensatory damages, so this may form a sizeable portion of a plaintiff’s recovery in a car accident claim.
- Punitive damages. While plaintiffs may not claim punitive damages directly, a judge may award punitive or exemplary damages in accordance with state laws. In California, there is no upper limit as to how much a judge may award. They typically base their decision on the seriousness of the defendant’s behavior and their overall wealth.
These damages combined could amount to a very substantial potential recovery from a car accident claim if you succeed. Your car accident attorney can help you fully value your claim, so you know what to expect from settlement negotiations or litigation against the defendant named in your claim.
It is difficult to provide an average value for a car accident settlement; any car accident can cause unpredictable damages and unexpected repercussions. The best way to determine your car accident claim’s actual value is to meet with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible for a case evaluation.
Seek Reliable Legal Counsel
If you are ready to take legal action after a car accident in the Folsom, CA area, the team at The Law Office of Black & DePaoli, PC are here to help you. Contact us today to schedule a meeting with our team and learn more about the potential compensation you could secure from a successful car accident claim.